Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Bento #8


Today’s bento feature one of my favourite meals: meatballs made mini for bento!
I use the following recipe, found on Taste.com.au, modified using lean pork mince and lean beef mince instead of the pork and veal mince suggested in the recipe.
For bentofied meatballs, I just roll them in balls about 2cm in diameter.

Meatballs in Rich Tomato Sauce

Ingredients (serves 4)
500g veal mince
500g pork mince
1 onion, grated
1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
2 x 400g cans diced Italian tomatoes
1 cup chicken stock
Method
1. Combine veal [or beef] and pork mince, onion, lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, breadcrumbs, basil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Roll tablespoonfuls of mince mixture into balls. Place meatballs on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
2. Combine tomatoes and stock in a deep frying pan. Bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Drop meatballs into tomato mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
3. Serve with pasta and more fresh basil.
Notes
To freeze:
Spoon meatballs into single-serve airtight containers. Freeze for up to 8 weeks.
I line a large Tupperware container [something like a slice and store, or similar] with silicon cups, and fill each cup with just one bento sized serve of meatballs. That way, I can just grab one of the cups out of the the freezer the night before, and it defrosts perfectly in the fridge overnight. All I have to do for preparation is boil up some pasta – too easy.

Original Recipe Source: Super Food Ideas - June 2005, Page 80

Back to the bento; to go with my meatballs and pasta, I have a nice fresh fruit salad with apple wedges, nectarine halves and you guessed it – blueberries.

I did try to liven up the pasta a bit with ham and nori flowers, but the colouring wasn't right and it blended in with the background a little too much for my liking. Would normally have used carrot for this, but I still haven't gotten around to buying any!
Anyway, below is a pic of my frozen mini meatballs stash.

No comments:

Post a Comment